Parenting hacks with a 3yo and newborn that I learn in a month plus (works for me, not necessarily every sahm)
How do I bath when alone with them?
1. Do it fast when newborn is asleep (and bath with the 3 yo)
2. If newborn woke up from sleep while bathing, do it even faster plus hurrying up the 3 yo.
3. When newborn is awake and relatively stable, put her on bouncer facing the bathroom – bath together with the 3 yo while peeping outside.
4. When newborn is awake and cranky, don’t bath until hubby returns (or the crankiness stops).
5. To enjoy a good shower with the 3 yo, let her play in the pail of water. Shower myself and then bath her.
What to do when the 3 yo and newborn are demanding at the same time?
1. See which problem is the priority. Usually is newborn because wants to be nursed. But in the morning, I do attend to the 3yo first if she needs to pee and brush teeth after waking up.
2. If cannot see the priority and feel stressful, take a picture of them – cool down!
*Ignoring the 3 yo is much easier as she tends to forget what she was crying for.
What to do when the newborn is cranky and clingy (despite trying all the best to find out what’s wrong) plus you feel stressful at the same time?
Leave the newborn on the cot for a moment (like 5 minutes- to do whatever else need to be done); rather than feeling angry and eventually take it out on the 3 yo (if she is bugging for something).
More to come….